About us

Court farm bed & breakfast rogiet near Newport & Chepstow

Local History: The village adjoins the Caldicot Levels. Its name is of uncertain derivation, and was formerly spelled Roggiatt, Roggiett or Roggiet. The first known lord of the manor was Godfrey de Gamage, who married Joan, the daughter of Richard de Clare, Earl of Pembroke, known as “Strongbow”, in the 12th century.[1]The village church is now dedicated to St. Mary, but in earlier centuries was dedicated to St. Hilary. Much of the church dates from about the 14th century, and was restored in the 19th and early 20th centuries.[2]

Rogiet railway station, on the Gloucester to Newport line, was renamed Severn Tunnel Junction station when the tunnel carrying the South Wales Main Line between Cardiff and London was opened in 1886.

The village underwent major expansion in the late 20th century, following the development of nearby Caldicot and Magor as suburban housing areas for those working in Newport, Cardiff and Bristol